Thursday, September 9, 2010

Hike to Garnet Peak in the Laguna Mountains

Sept 6th 2010 :- Garnet Peak is located in the Laguna Mountains and is located at a height of 5900 ft above sea level. Laguna Mountains lie to the South East of San Diego at a short distance of 60-70 miles from even some of the far quarters of the city. Garnet Peak marks the boundary between the alpine mountains and the Anza Borrego desert lying about 3000 feet below. Views include the Monument Peak and the Stephenson Peak to the South, Anza Borego Desert and Salton Sea to the East, San Jacinto and San Gorgonio to the North.

Having departed at 7:15 am from home, I reached the Penny Pines trail head having made a short stop at the Laguna Mountain Lodge to purchase a single day Adventure Pass for $5. I went past the Big Laguna Trail parking lot, where I did glance and notice a person sporting a rifle/gun. I decided against hiking to Monument Peak and instead chose to head to Penny Pines trail head. The parking was completely occupied once I parked. The one-way distance to the peak is 2 miles along the longest of routes. I followed this route which essentially takes one along the edge of the mountains. This is the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) and the peak itself is 0.5 miles away from the trail. The parking lot is located at 5380 feet above sea level making the climb to the peak a short 500 feet ascent.

Along the way, I made it to the top of a small hill along the edge to get a view of the desert below. I did know from the markers that this hill was not the peak especially given the peak right across the valley beside this hill. I did hear a boom and could not help tying that to the rifle wielding person I had noticed at the Big Laguna parking lot. Later on I did notice signs of "No Shooting" in that area.

With the parking lot completely occupied, I had expected fellow hikers along this trail but to my surprise I did not see a single person until I began the actual climb up the hill. Two hikers went past when I had ascended the first 250 feet of the peak. They headed in the direction I had come from but later on the way back I did notice a group of three hikers trudging along to the top.

The peak itself is made up of jarred rocks and there isn't a good spot to sit on the top. The edge dips sharply down towards the valley but the views towards the valley are as splendid as they could be. The peak can get windy even in the summer months and the area does accumulate snow in the winter months.

On the way back I took the shorter route that does have some vegetation, although most of it is dry and whatever big trees existed earlier have been cleared. A short walk of 0.3 miles from Sunrise Highway brought me back to Penny Pines trail head.

I then headed to Big Laguna Trail head and went about 1.5 miles ahead towards Monument Peak. The vegetation here is thick and gives a feeling of being way away from civilization even though Sunrise Highway is just beside PCT in this area. The frequent sound of a passing vehicle does give one a reminder of not being secluded or lost. I could not find the actual way to Monument Peak and hence at the first opportunity I got back to Sunrise Highway. Being a solo hike, I was left with no other choice other than heading back 1.8 miles back to my parked vehicle along Sunrise Highway.

An overall hike of between 6.5 to 7.5 miles did challenge me, especially given my operated right knee. It was a first test in outdoor conditions, although I have been hiking in local areas and exercising like never before in the recent past.

By 2:30 pm I was in the comfort of home and hit the bed by 3pm for a good afternoon nap. It is a good half-day hike and can be combined with another half-day hike to some other peak in the area to make it a worthwhile outdoor day.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ahire.parag/GarnetPeakLagunaMountains?authkey=Gv1sRgCNHo9qvzre3Jcg&feat=directlink

No comments: